Xiang Ya Fish Maw (fried) 象牙鳔(炸)
Fish maw is the dried form of fish air bladder.
Fish maw is one of the precious traditional Chinese ingredients rated along abalone, sea cucumber and shark’s fin due to it’s high nutritional content.
Fish maw contains rich proteins and nutrients such as phosphor and calcium.
It nourishes ‘yin’, replenishes kidney and boosts stamina. It is effective in healing weak lung and kidney, anemia, etc.
It is suitable for consumption by any age group of either gender and is a kind of therapeutic food. The most important of all is that fish maw contains high viscosity gel protein and mucopolysaccharide which are important to lady’s skincare and capable of preserving fine complexion and invigorating blood circulation.
Many Chinese people believe that drinking fish maw soup and eating fish maw will improve their skin and, for pregnant women, the skin of their babies. Furthermore, fish maw does not contain cholesterol and therefore it is a very valuable health enhancing ingredient suitable for long time consumption.
How to store dried fish maw?
Store in cool and shaded area or refrigerated.
How to prepare fish maw before cooking? Fish maw require pre-soaking before cooking. The soaking time will vary depending on the type of fish maw.
Fried fish maw :
– Soak fish maw in fresh water for about 10-15 minutes until it soften. Rinse with clean water and it is ready for cooking.
– Soaked fish maw should be stored in the refrigerator at below 0℃ if not cooked. Thaw each time before serving.
– Promotes urination, drains dampness – edema, difficult urination, damp leg qi.
– Strengthens the spleen, stops diarrhea.
– Clears heat and expels pus – carbuncles, lung or intestinal abscesses.
– Expels wind-damp, relieves joint and muscle pain.
Among Chinese, coix seed has been valued for its ‘cooling’ property, a concept related to Chinese food therapy, for acting on an ‘inflammed’ human body, mostly occurred after taking considerable spicy, grilled or barbecued foods. In addition to this, Chinese herbalists have regarded the seeds as being capable of:
– enhancing immunity
– inducing diuresis,
– excreting dampness,
– strengthening spleen,
However, they suggest that it is not suitable for pregnant women. But there are claims mention that coix is good for nourishing the skin making it look soft and smooth.